Monday, August 15, 2022

Meet Nick Anderson - part 5

 Editor's Note: Continuing Meet Me Mondays!  I am Britta Malsch, the Purchasing Manager at Anderson's Candy Shop and also help the Anderson's with social media duties.  As I enter my 10th year at the store, one of my goals has been to help introduce our family of staff to our family of customers.  I hope you enjoy this series which will hightlight all the wonderful men and women who work hard to create the Anderson's Candy that you love!  
Fifth in our series, is Nick Anderson.




Nick as been a part of the Anderson's Candy Shop Family for over 7 years.  Nick holds the title of Head Cook, he works in the room we call "the Cooking Room" where the insides of the chocolates are made.  Nick originally started at the Candy Shop working in the Packing Room.  

The first thing Nick remembers doing when he first started at the shop was packing pieces 
of candy into boxes.  

Something Nick thinks will surprise customers about how our candy is made is "the amount of time and labor that goes into it.  Most batches take between 45 minutes to 2 hours just to cook, this doesn't include the time it takes to cut the batches, dip the pieces or package." 

Nick prefers milk chocolate when it's not paired with anything, 
otherwise it can depend on what is inside. 

"My nose doesn't work very well." Nick says.  "There is a batch where you need to roast the nuts and the easiest way to tell if it's done is by smell.  I was having trouble with the batch so I called on our intercom for help.  Leif Anderson (my childhood hero) cooked with me side by side.  He told me when it smelled right and I told him when it looked right.  In the moment, we worked as equals."  Nick recalled this as one of his fondest memories while working at the shop.  

Nick's favorite holiday to work "is definitely winter in the Candy Shop."  "That's the season where everyone has to come together and work their hardest.  It's also the season where everyone's colors truly shine."  Nick's least favorite season at the shop is spring, "mostly because of spring cleaning." 

On his days off, Nick enjoys the company of his family and friends.  "In either case (family or friends) we usually play games of all varieties."



2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Nick! I love the story of you and Leif working side by side! Keep on cooking and roasting! My favorite center is maple nut! Nice outfit by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maplenut certainly is delicious, then again, so is everything we make. :)

      Delete