Thursday, August 4, 2022

Meet Britta Malsch - part 3

Editor's Note: Continuing Meet Me Mondays!  I am Britta Malsch, the Purchasing Manager at Anderson's Candy Shop and I also help the Andersons with social media duties.  As I enter my 10th year at the store, one of my goals has been to help introduce our family of staff to our family of customers.  I hope you enjoy this series which will hightlight all the wonderful men and women who work hard to create the Anderson's Candy that you love!  Third in our series, is me, Britta Malsch. 


I have been a part of the Anderson's Candy Shop Family for over 9 years.  Currently I work part time and from home as the Purchasing Manager / Web Site and Social Media Moderator.  In the past 9 years I have also worked in the molding room as well as managed the packing room.  

The first thing I remember doing when I started working at the candy shop was stamping bar bags and putting away candy.  I also remember during one of my first shifts, packaging English Toffee into plastic tubs and putting the wrong stickers on the lids.  

Something I think will surprise customers about how our candy is made is how many hands each piece and bar pass before it's sold.  "It has to be cooked and made by one person, cut and rolled by another, dipped by one dipper, put away and packed possibly by two different people all before it's put onto shelves to be sold." 

I have come to appreciate dark chocolate over the rest, it wasn't always that way.  Working here and getting to experience delicious candy, I made the switch and haven't looked back.  

A fond memory I can recall is working Christmas Eve shifts, which are voluntary.  "We get so busy and would try to shut the door several times when we were suppose to close, but would end up letting in at least three more customers to finish or sometimes start their Christmas shopping."

My favorite holiday to work at the candy shop is Christmas, "the rush of the season is so fun and working on special orders we only usually get once a year makes the season that much more challenging, and I really enjoy it."  My least favorite holiday is Valentine's Day.  "It's the most forgotten and shortest, making it quite stressful to set up the store, make and sell heart boxes and take it all down to get ready for Easter."

On my days off I enjoy being home with my three young kids, shuttling them around to their activities.  As a family, we also enjoy attending and showing antique tractors, steam traction engines specifically, at different shows in Wisconsin and Illinois.


1 comment:

  1. It’s nice to meet you, Britta❣️I think that the Chocolate Chat is a wonderful idea! It’s nice to meet the people making the wonderful chocolate ( especially dark!)that we love to eat and to meet you!

    ReplyDelete